– – – – – – – – – – – – – S P O N S O R E D P O S T – – – – – – – – – – – – –
So you’ve finally decided that you can’t resist the temptation anymore and you simply have got to buy that Gucci handbag you’ve been eyeing for what feels like forever. If it’s to reward yourself for that hard earned promotion you got at work, or you’re thinking of starting a designer bag collection, you simply cannot go wrong with a Gucci bag!
The brand of Gucci is known as one of the best when it comes to leather goods, and since it has been selling fine leather goods since 1921, the brand’s longevity and flourishing especially in the fashion industry will make this an excellent choice for you. The brand skyrocketed to fame when style cult icon Jackie Kennedy was spotted carrying a Gucci shoulder bag in the 1960s, and has since then solidified its popularity, making the Gucci handbag a status symbol for the successful, confident and truly fashionable women all over the world.
So what does it take to own a Gucci bag? If you’re new to the world of Gucci, worry no more! We’re here to help you with everything you need to know from choosing a style, to purchasing and taking care of your first Gucci bag!
Know What You Want
The first step in buying your very own Gucci bag is knowing what style of bag you actually want. Whether it’s a Boston bag that’s capricious and stylish or a tote bag that is ideal for lugging around and shopping or even a classic top handle bamboo bag. The good thing about living in this day and age is that everything can be found online. You can browse through our collection of Gucci bags or Google up vintage Gucci styles that never really go out of style. You have endless choices ahead of you and choosing is half the fun! Take for example the previously mentioned “Jackie” – a simple yet elegant shoulder bag that comes in a variety of exterior types, be it leather, python, crocodile, and fabric options. Make your first Gucci bag memorable by buying an iconic style that speaks to you and you can explore other styles when you decide on starting that bag collection in earnest.
Another part of knowing what you want is finding out what to look out for. In a world where fakes can be world class on its own, you’d want to make sure that you what you are purchasing is real, especially with such a hefty price tag! Here are a few tips on how to spot fakes and what to generally look out for:
- Looking inside is key. Lining is often in linen or a linen blend. Check if the interior serial number has an R with a circle around it (like a registered trademark symbol) and it should also have Gucci stamped on it. The U should be more bold on the left side than that on the right.
- Check the backside of the interior label. That’s where the serial number should be placed and should be presented as two lines of hand-stamped numbers (first row being the model number and the second row being the control number which is unique in each bag). These numbers should be thin and lightly pressed on the material, not scattered or wide.
- Also take note that on popular canvas monogram pieces, look at both the fabric and the leather trim. The fabric should have a slight sheen to it when you look at it and hold the bag at an angle. In terms of the leather trim, it will always be pebbled napa leather, not microsuede.
- When it comes to luxury handbags, hardware components can also make a distinction. All Gucci hardware, which are often used as links in straps and handles, are made up of a quality metal that makes it heavier, imprinted with the brand name. The imprints are mostly accompanied by the phrase “made in Italy”.
The After Purchase Care
So now you’ve gone on and purchased the Gucci bag of your dreams. But it might all turn into an expensive nightmare if you don’t know how to take care of it. One of the biggest factors in getting and keeping a luxury bag like Gucci is proper storage. Whether your Gucci bag is made up purely of leather or canvas fabric, number one rule should be to store it in a dust bag, which basically allows it to be stored away from dust and dirt while still allowing it to breathe. If you have leather in your Gucci bag, consider a humidifier to make sure the leather doesn’t dry out.
If you don’t plan on using your Gucci for months at a time, make sure to air it out at least every 6 months. When storing it, make sure to retain its proper shape so that creases do not appear on your bag or have it bend and break. Stuff your Gucci bag with soft dry filling like old cotton clothing. You can even look for manufacturers who make customized cushions for your bag. Lastly, explore the right cleaning products for your specific type of Gucci bag. Taking care of it properly will help its longevity and make your purchase worth it.
Knowing the ins and outs of buying and owning a luxury handbag can be a bit tedious, but believe us when we say that it’s so worth it! Owning one can be very rewarding as it’s a sign of being successful, showing the world that you have indeed arrived in style!