Australian Fashion Week – officially known as Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia – is set to kick off in just a few days and we’ll be there covering the week for you live on the site and through our social media channels. Are you ready??
As a bit of a joke, we sent this little list around to the talented writers who will be assisting us throughout the week – a guide to getting street style snapped (should that be why they want to attend fashion week). After years of looking over street style photos, we think this list contains the ideal ingredients for getting the attention of roving photographers like Tommy Ton of Jak & Jil and Phil Oh from Street Peeper.
How to peacock at MBFWA / get Street Style snapped
- Wear bright pops of colour. The camera loves you in colour baby. It’s eye catching.
- Wear or use accessories in non-traditional ways. A cross-body bag that sits right under your boob you say? Why not! Holding a heaving statement Celine tote as a clutch? I dare you.
- Headwear – Candice Lake and her red Maison Michel hat was synonymous with RAFW 2011. And let’s not forget Tavi with her bow headpiece at that couture show.
- Be Asian or blonde or red headed. No joke, you’re odds are that much higher if you are one of these three and skinny. Photos love the ‘different’.
- Loiter outside the venues having chats with your other photogenic friends instead of going into the show. Street style photographers can’t find you if you are inside a show venue, eating lunch or working in the media centre.
- Learn how to pose front row. Street style photographers rarely photograph indoors, but another type of photographer are loitering inside waiting to get a snap of a ‘celebrity’ or two.
- Worse comes to worse, do something controversial like wearing a t-shirt with a controversial statement. You could potentially get a write up in the papers/blogs about that time someone attending fashion week protesting “skinny models”, use of fur on the runway or something random like wearing a muppet costume to fashion week. Miss Piggy is totes fashun right?? YOLO!