As fashion conferences go, we tend to get excited when an amazing one gets announced. So when we told you last year about The Australian Financial Review Magazine’s Bespoke luxury fashion conference to be held on May 16, 2013 at the Sydney Opera House, we were waiting with baited breathe to hear about the speakers they had in store. Curated and hosted by Marion Hume, the International Fashion Editor for the AFR Magazine, the event is set to be one of the must-attend events for fashion business people. Especially when you consider the calibre of people announced to speak so far.
Unlike other local fashion business conferences, Bespoke has gathered a list of local fashion names who have successfully started (and kept in good business) their own fashion business, including the likes of Nikki Zimmermann (cofounder of Zimmermann), Karen Walker, Sarah-Jane Clarke, Heidi Middleton and David Briskin from Sass & Bide.
Financial Review Group Chief Executive Officer and Publisher, Brett Clegg, said: “This group of speakers is indicative of the calibre of this event. Our intention with Bespoke has always been to create an event at the leading edge of the global business and luxury conversation in Australia and bring The Australian Financial Review Magazine to life in an innovative new way. Further special announcements will be made in the coming weeks as Bespoke unveils its full talent line-up.”
But it is the international names have that us a little excited. Two of the internet’s most influential men: Jeremy Langmead and Imran Amed have just been announced as speakers as well. Langmead was the former editor of Esquire UK and the current Editor-in-Chief at Mr Porter, part of the Net-A-Porter.com family, while Amed is regarded as one of the industry’s leading thinkers in digital media and is founder of the industry’s must-read website The Business of Fashion.
We may have squealed in delight when we found out Amed was coming to Sydney to speak at Bespoke and immediately messaged a friend who instantly demand I provide an international flight for her to come attend the conference. To which I sent her the ticketing information.
Imram Amed from Business of Fashion
Early bird tickets on sale for a limited time
Summit only AUD$550
Summit and evening event AUD$690
Tickets and more information at sydneyoperahouse.com/bespoke
The confirmed speaker line up at Bespoke so far:
- Elisabeth de Feydeau, Arty Fragrance – A leading perfume authority globally, de Feydeau works with luxury brands around the world through her consultancy, Arty Fragrance. She is also an author and a teacher.
- Imran Amed, Business of Fashion – Founder and Editor of The Business of Fashion, Imran Amed consults to a number of brands and is an Associate Lecturer at Central St Martins College of Art & Design and member of British Fashion Council Digital and Menswear committee.
- Ramdane Touhami, Cire Trudon – The French-Moroccan artist, fashion designer, DJ and journalist who relaunched French candle company Cire Trudon.
- James Packer, Crown Resorts – Chairman of Crown Resorts, which is renowned globally, particularly in Asia, for its focus on luxury accommodation, quality dining and shopping experiences, and world-class gaming and entertainment facilities.
- Jeff Rudes, J Brand – CEO and founder of denim company J Brand, whose jeans are available in more than 2,000 stores in 200 countries and who has collaborated with Topshop and Proenza Schouler.
- Karen Walker, Karen Walker – the New Zealand based designer, who is acclaimed for her use of print and colour, with a celebrity following including Alexa Chung, Anne Hathaway, Florence Welch and Rihanna.
- Jeremy Langmead, MR PORTER.COM – As the former editor of UK Esquire and Wallpaper *, Jeremy joined MRPORTER.COM as Editor-in-Chief in 2010 ahead of the sites launch. As the premier global online retail destination for men’s style, Jeremy is known around the world for his work combining commerce and content.
- Ana Maria Escobar, Oroton –As creative director Escobar has revitalized Oroton, relaunching lingerie, overseeing the introduction of several new business lines, and collaborating with the likes of Tommy Ton and Taylor Tomasi Hill.
- David Briskin, sass & bide – CEO of fashion brand established by friends Sarah-Jane Clarke and Heidi Middleton in the 1990s and which has grown into a global success story.
- Heidi Middleton, sass & bide – Co-founder and creative spirit behind sass & bide whose fans include Madonna, Beyonce, Kate Moss and Sarah Jessica Parker.
- Sarah-Jane Clarke, sass & bide– Co-founder and creative spirit behind sass & bide whose fans include Madonna, Beyonce, Kate Moss and Sarah Jessica Parker.
- Adam Bryce, slamxhype.com & post-new.com – a pioneer of fashion blogging with the launch of SlamXHype, Bryce has worked in creative and consulting for Nike, Comme des Garcons, Levis, Sony and Mercedes-Benz.
- Nicky Zimmermann, Zimmermann – Nicky and sister Simone are behind iconic Australian brand, Zimmermann. Established in 1991, the brand is renowned for its high fashion resortwear and swimwear with stockists and boutiques across the globe.