Image via @TCS_Daniel
Who doesn’t love it when the likes of Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell step out on to a runway together? Last night the two biggest British supermodels stepped out on to the world’s largest sporting stage, the closing ceremony at the London 2012 Olympic Games. One that celebrated not only the achievements of the athletes over the last 16 days, but also British fashion with the inclusion of some of the most iconic British super models and British fashion designers paired together
“The Closing Ceremony is a celebration of the best of London, the best of British people, and the best of our music and our culture,” said Kim Gavin, Creative Director of The Closing Ceremony. “The most innovative and iconic fashion designers and models in the world are British and so this ceremony would have been impossible without them at its heart.”
While the debate over whether supermodels had a place in the Olympic Games Closing Ceremony rages on, we loved it from a fashion aspect. After watching days of synchronized swimmers with wearing garish waterproof make up (and hair slicked into place within and inch of their life) and women with muscles in places I’m not use to seeing, it’s was refreshing to see supermodels groomed to within and inch of their life.
The list of who wore what:
- Naomi Campbell wears Alexander McQueen Gold Metal embroidered dress with train
- Kate Moss wears Alexander McQueen Gold sequined full-length dress
- Karen Elson wears Burberry Gold lace evening dress
- Stella Tennant wears Christopher Kane Metal mesh and Swarovski crystal trouser suit
- Lily Cole wears Erdem Gold embroidered and lace cocktail dress
- Jourdan Dunn wears white and Gold leather dress by Jonathan Saunders & Stephen Jones Gold feather headdress
- Georgia May Jagger wears Victoria Beckham Gold metal fabric cocktail dress
- Lily Donaldson wears Vivienne Westwood Gold lace gown
- David Gandy wears Paul Smith Gold Suit and tie
It wasn’t just the fashion ‘segment’of the Closing Ceremony that saw British fashion beamed into homes around the world, Tinie Tempah wore Burberry during her performance while Pet Shop Boys wore Gareth Pugh and Emeli Sande wore Alexander McQueen.
Did you watch the London 2012 Closing Ceremony – was it for the celebrations or for a look at the Spice Girls performing together again after so many years?
Watch the Spice Girls perform at the closing ceremony below!
Other images: supplied.