It was announced last year that Stella McCartney was launching a line of eco-friendly sunglasses to add to her growing luxury eco-friendly offerings. Available online and in stores now (locally in Australia at select Sunglass Hut boutiques), the McCartney eco-friendly sunglasses are made of more than 54% natural and renewable materials.
“The greatest challenge was the amount of time that was spent on research and testing to get the best quality product possible with the highest performance in terms of resistance, while still maintaining the style and finish we always try to achieve,” McCartney told WWD last year.
The sunglasses feature injected bio-plastic, made up of 54% caster-oil seeds and a new acetate plastic that is made from 54% natural sources like cellulose and natural plasticizers.
Now that the collection is in stores, we can reveal that the Stella McCartney eco-friendly sunglasses collection is made up of five designs:
- SM3009: A round oversized shape featuring a steel frame and an ultra-feminine profile with thin temples featuring a step design.
- SM3010: A wide metal framed sunglasses with an acetate temple with a step design in a playful color contrast. The mixed materials of this model and the square shape of the gradient lenses convey a unique and interesting design.
- SM3011: A modern aviator that reinterprets the classic style every woman should own. The light and sleek shape with its wide gradient lenses and the thin traditional double bridge is boosted by modern and glamorous acetate and metal temple with a step design. This model fits perfectly within the sustainable philosophy of the brand, featuring materials made from plastic derived from castor oil.
- SM4029: This fun and urban model perfectly embodies the Stella McCartney sustainable philosophy. An ultra-thin round plastic frame showcases tonal gradient colors, in a mix of opaque and translucent plastic derived from natural resources.
- SM4030: This style is substantially built with rounded edges for a comfortable fit. Softly tapered in complimentary colors that highlight the top of the frame and give this classic style a cool, modern update.
Pictured above and below are the Stella McCartney “SM4029″ design while Natalia Vodianova wears the “SM3009″ in the Stella McCartney Spring/Summer 2012 ad campaign.
Are you excited about Stella McCartney’s eco-friendly sunglasses?