We’re eagerly anticipating the arrival of Rosemount Australian Fashion Week S/S 2011 starting on May 3rd. With 15th anniversary celebrations set to add to the buzz, this year promises to be one of the best ones yet! With fellow blogger Susanna Lau of Style Bubble and Tommy Ton of Jak & Jil invited by IMG and Garance Dore and Scott ‘The Sartorialist’ Schulman winging it down too, it’s going to be a blogging frenzy of international proportions. Throw in Style.com’s Tim Blanks into the mix and the front row will be a veritable who’s who of the internet world. I hope I get a seat (somewhere) and the local magazine and fashion editors don’t kick up a stink if some are relegated to the second row.
So here’s our round up of the gossip so far…
- FrockWriter has put together a preliminary schedule for the week thanks to her insider contacts. We won’t know the full schedule until the launch on Wednesday 21st of April but it’s a very helpful guide as to how crazy the week will be. We’ll be tweeting live from the launch that evening, so stay tuned to @sassybella.
- Rumour has it that Collette Dinnigan may take part after many years away due to her absence at Paris Fashion Week in March as well as the David Jones winter launch last month. Dinnigan has since told Australian newspapers that she did consider showing at RAFW but will instead show a week earlier a David Jones’ Elizabeth Street store on April 29 due to the costs of showing during fashion week and that “it’s staged at the wrong time.’
- Ksubi is set to close RAFW this year and have roped in US-based Australian stylist extraordinary Brana Wolf to do the styling and Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show producer Kannon Rajah to give the show a bit of extra oomph. But don’t expect crazy antics like rats on the runway or money being thrown into the crowd since the boys have new investors and will have to show signs of seriousness.
- ghd are back again as they gear up for RAFW with four of Australia’s top hair stylists working across and over 15 of Australia’s top fashion designers. They’ve recruited Renya Xydis, Sophie Roberts, Jayne Wild and Alan White to help create looks for the likes of Zimmermann, Ellery, Dion Lee, Ginger & Smart, Marnie Skillings, Kirrily Johnston, Manning Cartell, Alex Perry, Little Joe, Lucette, Fernando Frisoni, Ruby Smallbone, Nookie, Anna & Boy and The Birthday Suit.
- The front will also feature a very pretty face more often seen on the runway… Alyssa Sutherland has been signed on as Rosemount’s fashion ambassador for RAFW and should be expected to front row at all the hottest shows.
- Napoleon Perdis has edged into the RAFW beauty world with a line up which includes Alex Perry, Dion Lee, Rachel Gilbert, Ruby Smallbone, Sabatini, Karla Spetic and Dhini. Watch out MAC!
Can’t register as a member of the fashion industry? Well you can always win or buy your way in with two brands (so far) who are giving you a chance to attend a show or two.
- The best competition so far is the one run by MAC cosmetics. They’re looking for an official MAC cosmetics correspondent for RAFW and its open to anyone. You’ll get a VIP access pass to the shows and you’ll get to post all your musings on the MAC Cosmetics Facebook page. All you have to do is tell MAC why you should be their official correspondent at http://www.maccosmetics.com.au/sweeps/
- If you’re a Valerie Tolosa fan, she’s selling tickets to her RAFW show for AUD$180 a pop. She told her VIP customers via her email newsletter last week that they could attend her May 4th show for a price.
Stay tuned, we’ll be updating this list as we hear more!
Are you attending RAFW in 2010? I am, now bring on the endless runway shows and the I-have-nothing-to-wear moments. Fingers are crossed that I get invited to most of the shows!