It was suppose to go Fafi, Heatherette, Emanuel Ungaro and then Hello Kitty for MAC, but WWD reports that Dame Edna Everage will slot in before the Hello Kitty collection is set launched (in February 2009).
Who is Dame Edna Everage you ask? Well most of us in Australia and Britain know her as the lavender-haired character Barry Humphries has dressed up as for decades. In other words, a cross dresser who’s larger-than-life character has spawned many stage and TV shows.
Why has she been given the fabulous opportunity to design a collection?
“For us, Edna represents the counterculture that MAC is steeped in,” said James Gager, senior vice president and creative director of MAC Worldwide. “This is a partnership that will make people stop and take notice.”
With lavender coloured and red glitter horn-rimmed glasses on packaging, the Dame Edna Everage for MAC collection contains three lipsticks, three LipGlasses, two eye shadow trips, Hi-Light powder, and two shades of nail polish.
“I’m doing this out of love – I’m a giver,” said Dame Edna. “The audience’s applause was a little louder when I was wearing MAC on stage, so I was a convert. They didn’t have to coerce me.”
What I’m looking forward to most is the cheeky promotion that is set to follow this news, according to WWD Simon Doonan has taped three interviews with Dame Edna – styled by the equally fabulous Patricia Field.
The wacky, fun collection will be hitting US stores on December 26, 2008 and international stores in January 2009.
Are you looking forward to it?
If you’re still not sure who Dame Edna Everage is, check out the video below of her performing at the Just for Laughs International Comedy Festival in 2005 – the wo/man is to be taken with a grain of salt and a handful of diamonds.
Full Dame Edna Everage for MAC collection details:
- Gladiola Matte mid-tone blue pink (Matte)
- Coral Polyp Creamy mid-tone coral (Amplified Creme)
- Kanga-Rouge Creamy dark blue red (Amplified Creme)
- Hot Frost Sheer mid-tone blue pink with multi-dimensional pearlized pigments (Frost)
- Splendid Frosty pale pinky coral (Frost)
- Possum Nose Pink sheer bright coral with multi-dimensional pearlized pigments (Frost)
Royal Tour Eye Shadow Trio
- Royal Tour Mid-tone cool lilac (satin)
- Dame’s Desire Frosty mid-tone reddish purple (Frost)
- Climate Blue Dark blue fviolet with pink pearlized pigments (Velvet)
Wisteria Eye Shadow Trio
- Fineshine Frosty true-silver (Lustre)
- Wisteria Frosty robin’s egg blue (Velvet)
- Divine Night Frosty charcoal with silver pearlized pigments (Velvet)
- What a Dame! Pale orangey peach
- Spectacle! Pale soft pink
- Asiatique Creamy classic red (Creme)
- Varicose Violet Frosty mid-tone pinkish purple (Frost)