As the industry (already!) heads into Fall 2009 preparation mode, so comes a slew of exciting new developments for model trackers. Here is some of the latest news that is, as Girls Aloud once said, “buzzing ‘round the model zoo”:
· Ubermodel Cindy Crawford continues to profit from advertisers’ resurgent interest in “veteran” glamazons. You can catch the ageless beauty’s elegant editorial in the current issue of French Vogue.
· Russet haired Belarusian beauty Olga Sherer recently stunned her legion of fans with her brand new hair, which she has deepened to a lovely mahogany shade. Apparently, no one than Steven Meisel masterminded her makeover. Check out her new look in the header image. What do you think: upgrade or downgrade?
· Whether it is of a personal or professional nature, Kate Moss’s propensity for attracting and creating drama is unmatched. Last week’s tabloids generated the latest of the many typically bizarre stories involving her complex relationship with Jamie Hince. Apparently, Moss recently discovered that Hince has held onto his secret love letters to ex-lover (and pregnant Raveonettes singer) Sharin Foo. And, oh yeah — word is that he has HELD ONTO A VIAL OF HER BLOOD. You know, for old time’s sake. Creepy? Just a little. But unsettlingly, not a ritual that Angelina and Billy Bob didn’t already trademark years ago.
· Of course, Moss’s compelling chronicles do not stop there. Only days after her latest lover’s quarrel, Kate flew 3,500 miles from London to NYC for a photo shoot with W magazine. Upon arrival, the jinxed supermodel learned that, through some unfortunate communication mishap, W cancelled the shoot without telling her. Dommage! But on a happier note, Kate & Jamie, defying expectations yet again, are still together — at least this week. In fact, Kate brought her look-alike mother Linda Rosina along to the latest Kills show!
· To call Sasha Pivovarova’s recent editorial and runway profile subtle would be an understatement. Frankly, her absence has concerned us. As we reported during Fashion Week, Sasha was largely absent from the spring 2009 shows — even missing from Miu Miu’s lineup. However, Miss Pivovarova — original Sasha Fierce — was destined to be a star, not a bit player. Thankfully, her professional drought appears to have finally ended. Not only will she start in John Galliano’s coveted spring 2009 campaign, she will maintain her Armani and Tiffany contracts, and currently graces the cover of Marie Claire Spain. Additionally, the Chanel rumors continue to build, as she appears in the label’s latest eyewear campaign. But not to worry, Sasha fans — a professional resurrection will not keep Sasha from pursuing her OTHER livelihood: art. As Miuccia’s famed Muse and as every modelizer’s favorite runway anarchist, Sasha inspired many of this decade’s most memorable fashion moments. It is only fitting then, that she finally is able to turn the tables and share her own inspiration with us: she will exercise her renowned artistic acumen for an upcoming coffee table book for Prada. Apparently, elfin sprites and wood nymphs — a Sasha speciality — factor heavily into its visual theme.
· Newly anointed Victoria’s Secret Angel Lara Stone has sprained her ankle, and has been spotted traipsing around in flip-flops. The culprit? Those scandalous, alluringly savage Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte spiked heels. Sadly, we jaded fashion folk now tolerate the perils of cantilevered heels; Lara’s injury represents a painful but not entirely unacceptable price to pay. After all, this season’s dangerous footwear gives renewed relevance to the phrase “suffering for fashion”.