Has your fashion alarm been set on snooze since Couture Week? Are you in hibernation mode until September 5th? Well, it’s time for an early awakening! Suddenly, August borders on exciting. Why? Because Fall 2008 begins its advertising onslaught within the glossy pages of fashion rags everywhere and this time around, the campaigns and covers present quite an eyeful. The compelling cornucopia of puzzling palettes, fits, and themes witnessed six months ago on the runway now dazzle in imaginatively conceptualized and styled print form. Prepare your consumerist appetite for a sudden craving.
- Effortlessly capturing the season’s zeitgeist while packing a terrific visual punch: Pop magazine’s six, trophy-worthy covers! Miuccia Prada‘s racy (and lacy) nun muse is made immortal at the hand of upstart photographer Sebastian Faenam, who captured the half dozen supermodels breathing new life to old habits (pun intended!): Agyness Deyn, Jourdan Dunn, Naomi Campbell, Natalia Vodianova, Amber Valletta, and Sports Illustrated’s Oluchi Onweagba! In the wake of Vogue Italia‘s recent “Black Issue”, it is especially rewarding to see diversity acknowledged and celebrated as more than a one hit editorial wonder. How encouraging to see Prada personified by such a powerful range of individualized but representational beauty. Collect them all, we say.
- Sasha Pivovarova scores another knock-out campaign with Armani Beauty. The elfin Russian beauty also has turned up in Tiffany & Co’s latest ads – along with Lily Cole, Liya Kebede, & Shalom Harlow. Now that she’s a free agent, who will become her new Prada? Chanel, perhaps?
- Lydia Hearst stars in London lingerie brand Myla‘s decadently sensual new campaign. Ben Hassett shot the ads, wherein Hearst channels deviancy & mischief a la the femme fatales of the age of film noir. She gives Kate Moss & Agent Provocateur a run for their money!
- On the high-key lit, sultrier end of the model spectrum, a golden cast of Victoria’s Secret Angels “go wild” in GQ. Gisele is noticeably absent – perhaps she was too busy shooting for her meta-raunchy V Magazine cover?
- Speaking of Visionaire publications, check out the latest issue of V Man. Hedi Slimane shot Petey Wright, the same magazine’s Ford Model Search winner along with runners up Adam & AJ for an impressive editorial featuring the standout fall men’s collections.
- And finally, have you seen the uncensored version of Eva Mendes‘ Secret Obsession commercial for Calvin Klein? Well, it’s currently on youtube, making waves! We recommend you watch it in the privacy of your own home.